Pre-Adopt, Pre-Foster Parent Training
Name: Pre-Adopt, Pre-Foster Parent Training
Date: May 18, 2012 - May 19, 2012
This training is for prospective adoptive parents. It meets the requirements for families adopting Minnesota Waiting Children, the requirements of the 10 core competencies required for Wisconsin adoptive families, families adopting from a Hague-governed country, and families adopting through Holt International Children's Services. It takes place over two days.
- Issues, behaviors and characteristics of children in foster care and those waiting for adoptive families
- Child development; impact of abuse and neglect on child development
- Loss and separation; stages of grieving; helping children deal with separation and loss
- Birth family dynamics; empathy and openness
- Abuse and neglect; overview of physical, emotional and sexual abuse and neglect; how to create a safe and structured environment
- Disciplining hurt children; differences between discipline and punishment; using positive behavior management techniques
- Family systems; expectations and parenting a child with special needs
- Support to adoptive and foster families; community resources
- Preparing for placement
- Effects of pre-natal exposure to drugs and alcohol.